Literacy tutoring and services are available through ADVOCAP Literacy Services. A literacy coordinator, Cherie Witkowski, has an office in the Head Start building at W911 State Highway 44 in Markesan. She can be reached between 10 am and 6 pm at 920-398-3907 extension 25 or 800-631-6617.
Green Lake County Literacy Council
The Green Lake County Literacy Council was founded by the Directors of the five public libraries in Green Lake County. The Literacy Council membership also includes Ripon Public Library .
The Council's mission, like that of ADVOCAP Literacy Services, is to help citizens with one or more of the following:
- Perform satisfactorily on the job
- Participate in the education of their children
- Read newspapers, magazines and recreational material
- Read religious and inspirational material
- Participate in the political process
- Advance to a higher level of education Improve daily livings skills such as:
- Reading medicine and food labels
- Reading street signs
- Filling out job applications
- Reading directions to accomplish tasks
The Council is composed of a volunteer Board of Directors and membership-at-large. The Literacy Council promotes, supports and assists with the work of ADVOCAP Literacy Services in its efforts to improve the quality of life for its citizens. The Literacy Council can be reached at Berlin Public Library, 121 West Park Avenue, Berlin, WI 54923 or by calling and leaving a message at 920-361-5420.
Deb Dowen is co-president of the Literacy Council, and can be reached by calling 920-361-1764.
Referrals for tutors and students in need of tutors are always welcome at the ADVOCAP and Literacy Council offices.